Sonia Presents: A Plyometric Workout!
This is a plyometrics work out that focuses mainly on the lower body and core, but has a little bit of arms snuck in.
Plyometric exercises develop explosive power through the combination of speed and strength. They also tend to be hard, so you can get a great workout in a short amount of time. This work out is not recommended for the beginning of a training program. You should always begin a training program with controlled (not explosive) movements, and gradually work up to explosive work once you have a solid form and strength baseline. Happy improving!
2 (or 3!) sets of the following:
*For exercises not done in place, complete over 20 meters:
· FROG JUMPS – two-legged jumps for distance (walk back to start, repeat for 3 lengths total)
· POWER HOPS – place hands behind head and explode upwards as high as possible in place (10 reps)
· LATERAL JUMPS FOR DISTANCE – keep hips forward and butt low, explode sideways NOT up, walk back to start, repeat for two lengths per leg
· STAR JUMPS – you must say “I’m a star” with each jump or it doesn’t count, touch your toes each time (10 reps)
· ALTERNATING LUNGE JUMPS – start in a lunge with both knees at 90 degrees, explode vertically upward, switch feet and land in a lunge with the other leg in front (10 reps per side = 20 total jumps)
· BURPEES – chest to the ground, get up as fast as possible! Jump for height! (10 reps)
STRETCH! Do not neglect your hip flexors, glutes, hamstrings, quads, calves, groin/adductors, or pecs!